Saturday, August 11, 2007

Chasing Redbird

by Sharon Creech

Thirteen-year-old Zinnia “Zinny” Taylor’s life is tangled like a bowl of spaghetti; she’s still figuring herself out and she’s not much like any of her five siblings. She’s not moody like Gretchen, boy crazy like May, or noisy like her younger brothers. Zinny’s only refuge from is her Aunt Jessie and Uncle Nate’s house, until she finds a weed-covered trail in the woods behind the house. Zinnia Taylor: explorer! Suddenly Zinny knows she has to uncover this trail—from beginning to end—do something significant so she might be known as more than “the strangest and stingiest dirt-daubing doodlebug.” Along the way Zinny remembers things about her cousin Rose’s tragic death, discovers her family’s secrets, and gets to know handsome Jake Boone.

Chasing Redbird is a great book for pre-teen girls (although I’m sure older readers will also enjoy it!), as Zinny’s quirky thoughts are very real, and she doesn’t just hang around waiting for a boy to notice her. Sharon Creech was one of my favorite authors when I was younger, and I still enjoy coming back to her funny and touching stories today. If you enjoy Chasing Redbird, look for the Newbery Medal-winning companion, Walk Two Moons.

7 comments:

  1. This book is still one of my favorites! I have read it multiple times and it continues to haunt me with its incredible story of growth and adventure.Chasing Redbird isn't only great for young women but women of ever age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my gosh. i love this book and i recommend it to all girls or women of all ages. it's just so touching. And i'm proud of Zinny when she wants to get up and just find out for herself, and she's a deep thinker, and how she wants something for her own. i know how she feels in that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhhh.... I read this book for my book club in my middle school. However, I feel like i just lost my dignity after reading this review. You see, I am a 13 year old. Guy. The other two kids in my group are also 13. Guys. FML

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this book.Zinny is my favorite jake's 2.May is kind mean.i was hooked by the 1 page more people should read the book.it my all time favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is truely a great story.
    i have red all of sharon creech' books and this is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book! It taught me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just finish reading and 100 times more. i love this book.i wish they had a movie for it.i love it

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by! We'd love to hear from you, whatever your opinion, so please write any comments below.