Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Saving Juliet

by Suzanne Selfors

Starring as Juliet opposite the handsome Troy Summer, everyone’s attention on her, wearing dresses fit for a princess, should be Mimi’s dream, right? Unfortunately for Mimi Wallingford (a name often followed by “great-granddaughter of Adelaide Wallingford,” founder of the family theatre), Troy is an arrogant dolt who can’t act his way out of a paper bag, she dreams of a medical career, and now she’s getting major stage fright.
About to snap in two with the pressure, Mimi takes Troy’s suggestion and goes to Verona, but not intentionally and not in the modern day world. Fleeing her over-controlling mother just before a performance, Mimi rushes out the backstage door and into...a sixteenth century Verona populated by Montagues and Capulets. This just might be worse than performing in front of a large audience—especially when one is dressed in the Capulet colors and yet is falling for the dashing Benvolio Montague, Troy’s total opposite.
But soon Mimi is on running for her life for trying to save the real Juliet from marrying the horrible Paris Calchetto IV, and she does not know how to get back to Manhattan.

From the cover I didn’t expect much, but Saving Juliet really surprised me. It had romance, depth, an original storyline and characters, and several pretty hilarious bits. The plot had a few interesting twists, and those with any Shakespearian knowledge will enjoy seeing their favorite quotes as chapter titles. I very much look forward to future books by Suzanne Selfors.

9 comments:

  1. I won a copy of this book but still haven't gotten around to reading it. It sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is on my reading list for this year.

    anyway, I'm tagging you again check out my blog for the rules

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, sounds good! I'll have to give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really good. I like the cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you definitely make this book sound good! It is going in my tbr pile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this a while back; it's pretty good.

    Great review as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been really tempted by the cover and the title of this, but I've been put off by the blurb every time. But I just can't shake the feeling that I should read it - and with this review, maybe I'll have to push it higher on my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by! We'd love to hear from you, whatever your opinion, so please write any comments below.