Friday, March 6, 2009

Lament

The Faerie Queen’s Deception
by Maggie Stiefvater

Deidre is used to puking; she does so before every public performance on her harp. But with the appearance of a mysterious man from her dreams, she finds herself calm, and able to add the most breathtaking variations to the melodies as she plays.
When she begins to find four-leafed clovers everywhere, and Luke Dillon and his friends appear at the strangest times, Dee knows something strange is going on. Presently she will discover that she is a Cloverhand; she has an energy that attracts the fey, whether she wants their company or not.

Lament is the first modern-era dark faerie novel I’ve read (and there have been several; Tithe, Ironside, Valiant, Wondrous Strange, Wicked Lovely, Ink Exchange) in which I felt connected with the characters and believed the romances. The story, too, drew me in like none of the others, and for once I was completely sure I understood the plot fully—not that it was overly explained or too simple, only that it was explained well.

Look for the sequel, coming October 1st, 2009: Ballad: The Gathering of Faerie.

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of an energy that attracts the fey. I'll look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this book, too. And your copy has a really cool cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this. Off to buy it. I love fairies and romance. I too have read the other books you listed. Am really looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by! We'd love to hear from you, whatever your opinion, so please write any comments below.